FlipKey is a TripAdvisor company and powers the vacation rental experience on TripAdvisor. Properties listed on FlipKey are exposed to nearly 340 million unique monthly visitors** on FlipKey and TripAdvisor.
Although as a traveller you can access both FlipKey and TripAdvisor with a single account, if you want to list your property you need to create a new account here: https://rentals.tripadvisor.com/register.
Once your account registration is verified and you log-in to the platform (https://rentals.tripadvisor.com/login), there are 7 steps to take before your listing is publsihed.
STEP 1: Location
Enter the City and Address of your place and the system will ask you to verify its location on the map.
STEP 2: Property details
In the “Property details” section, you need to enter/specify some “Key Information“, including:
- Title of your listing
- Type of space (i.e. house, apartment, villa, etc.)
- How many bedrooms does it have?
- Maximum occupancy
- How many bedrooms
- Tourist license number or state tax ID (if applicable)
Under “Facilities and features” you can enter all the amenities that your place offers.
STEP 3: Rates, taxes, fees
In this section section, you need to enter:
- Preferred currency (options: EUR, GBP, USD, CAD, AUD)
- Minimum stay: This is the minimum number of nights you’ll allow for a reservation. Flexibility here could attract more travelers.
- Rates: Nightly (mandatory) as well as weekly, monthly, weekend or seasonal (all the latter are optional). You can also get data-driven pricing powered by Wheelhouse (also optional).
- Taxes: You are responsible for collecting and paying taxes if your rental is in an area where TripAdvisor is not required to do so on your behalf.
- Cleaning or other fees (optional)
STEP 4: Booking policies
- Standard rental agreement: TripAdvisor provides a standard agreement that you can use or you may upload your own (.pdf file).
- Refundable damage deposit (optional): TripAdvisor will collect, hold and return this money on your behalf to cover damage to your rental. You have 7 days to file a claim.
- Guest requirements (optional): Set guest requirements (i.e. suitable for kids, pets allowed, smoking allowed) to get bookings that are right for your rental.
- Quote lifespan: After your request payment from travelers, how long until the quote expires?
- Guest arrival and departure: check-in and check-out times (flexible or specific)
STEP 5: Photos
Post at least 4 photos to have your listing live on TripAdvisor / Flipkey. Their most-booked listings have 12+ photos. Guests are looking for: front of property, living room, kitchen, bedroom(s), and bathroom.
STEP 6: Payout settings
In the payout settings section you specify how you want TripAdvisor / FlipKey to pay you. You have the option of getting paid by bank transfer or PayPal.
STEP 7: Review and post
In case you skipped some steps (i.e. uploading photos), you can go back and complete them. Once finished, do a final review and your listing is ready to go live on TripAdvisor / FlipKey.
Although the calendar settings are not part of the 7-step process in order to publish your listing, make sure that you visit this section if needed (i.e. to block certain dates as “unavailable, etc.).
You can also and import and sync other calendars (i.e. HomeAway, airbnb, etc.). This is a basic solution if you only have 2 channels, and we have seen many reports that many channels delay their ical file update for hours (we have seen cases with 10+ hour delays). During high seasons with many bookings this could lead in double bookings. To avoid that, you can use our calendar synchronization service that guarantees under 5 minute updates and can support hundreds of simultaneous channels.
Congratulations! You now have a listing on Tripadvisor! All you need now is to keep your calendars synchronized across all your channels. The easiest way to do this is to use Syncbnb’s Vacation Rental Calendar Synchronization Service and you’ll be synchronizing in no time!
If, despite our guide above, you still want a professional to take care of your new listing, we can help you there too. Syncbnb offers a service that can copy your content from any vacation rental channel to any other, for a very reasonable fee. Visit our listing migration page to find out more.